Weight loss is a cause of worry for majority and is often “on the top” in their fitness plan. Weight loss is hard and it requires discipline, efforts and patience. It can be achieved by a healthy lifestyle which includes the right diet as well as regular workout. Most people have a misapprehension that a weight loss diet requires extreme diets such as intermittent fasting, keto diet or health supplements such as medicines or pills. However, this is a myth. A person needs a balanced diet with the right quantities of all food items. The regular intake that person is accustomed to eating right from the beginning is the best diet to lose weight instead of experimenting & eating fancy cuisines.
An Indian weight loss diet plan is too beneficial because Indian meals are balanced as they include proteins, fats, carbohydrates and fibers in desired quantities. Though diets and choices vary throughout India, mostly people follow a plant-based diet. Since there are a lot more ways to cook Indian food, healthier options can always be available. Additionally, Indian traditional spices and herbs are extremely healthy such as chillies, turmeric, garlic, cinnamon, cardamom, ginger and basil leaves.
An Indian diet plan for weight loss especially for female is gaining momentum now as with more women working at both corporate jobs and homes need the right amount of nutrition and a well-balanced diet to work efficiently throughout.
Science Behind Weight Loss
“A balanced diet & portion control is the Mantra for weight loss”
Weight loss and gain, hinge on caloric consumption and expenditure. You lose weight when you consume fewer calories than you expend. On the contrary, you gain weight when you consume more calories than you expend. To drop those fats, all you need to do is eat within your calorie limit and burn the desired calories.
However, simply determining how many calories your body needs isn’t sufficient. After all, four patties (600 calories), two slices of pizza (500 calories) and two rasgullas (385 calories) may be within your daily requirement of 1500 calories, but these unhealthy junk stuff will eventually lead to other health issues like high cholesterol and blood sugar. To lose weight in a proper way, you also need to ensure your diet is balanced i.e. it covers all food groups and provides all the nutrients that are must for good health.
List of Healthy Foods to Include in Your Weight Loss Diet Plan
Try imbibing the following essential food items into your daily meal plan
- Vegetables: Tomatoes, spinach, mustard greens, onions, bitter melon, cauliflower, mushrooms, cabbage etc.
- Fruits: Fruits: Including apples, mango, papaya, pomegranate, guava, oranges, melon, pears, bananas etc.
- Nuts and seeds: Cashews, almonds, peanuts, pumpkin seeds, sesame seeds, watermelon seeds and more
- Legumes: Mung beans, kidney beans, lentils, pulses and chickpeas
- Roots and tubers: carrots, sweet potatoes & turnips
- Whole grains: Brown rice, basmati rice, millet, barley, corn, whole-grain bread
- Spices & Herbs: Garlic, ginger, cardamom, coriander, cumin, garam masala, paprika, turmeric, black pepper, fenugreek and more
- Healthy Fats: Coconut milk, coconut oil, full-fat dairy, avocado, mustard oil, olive oil, peanut oil, sesame oil, ghee & more.
- Protein sources: Legumes, dairy, nuts and seeds.
What to Drink
An easy way to reduce excess calories and sugar is to avoid sugary beverages and juices. These drinks can be full of calories and sugar, which can affect weight loss in a negative manner.
Healthy beverage options include:
- Sparkling water
- Darjeeling, Green tea, Assam and Nilgiri teas
6-Day Indian Diet Plan For Weight Loss + Sunday (Cheat meal)
Below is an easy to follow Indian weight loss diet plan that can be followed for 6 days. Minor changes can be done to this as per an individual’s taste.
Breakfast: Sambar with 2 brown rice idlis/ Paneer sandwich with chutney
Lunch: Roti with mixed-vegetable curry with one dal
Dinner: Chicken curry with mixed vegetables & a fresh spinach green salad/chicken gravy with 2 multigrain rotis
Breakfast: A glass of milk/ bread and egg with fruits
Lunch: Curry with brown rice
Dinner: Khichdi with sprout salad/Veg paratha with mixed raita
Breakfast: Apple cinnamon porridge/ Fresh vegetable uttapam with sambhar
Lunch: Whole-grain roti with non veg and mixed vegetables
Dinner: Palak with brown rice and vegetables/ 2 rotis with chicken and curd
Breakfast: Yogurt with sliced fruits and vegetable poha
Lunch: Whole-grain roti with sabzi/ Dal with non veg sabzi and brown rice
Dinner: Moong masala with basmati rice and salad/ One bowl of fruits with multigrain rotis
Breakfast: Vegetable sprouts and a glass of milk
Lunch: Mixed Vegetable with brown rice/ 2 multigrain roti with non veg curry
Dinner: Curry with potatoes and mixed vegetables/ chicken curry with 2 multigrain rotis
Breakfast: Multigrain parathas and sliced papaya/ dal paratha with mixed vegetables
Lunch: Large salad with rajma / one bowl mixed vegetable kadai
Dinner: Green salad with mixed vegetables and multigrain roti
Keep your holiday Sunday as the cheat meal & cherish it fully. Eat whatever you want whether it be pizza, samosa, coke, pastries or anything. You should take a day break and enjoy your cheat meal in a while. It won’t affect your weight loss plan at all.
Indian Weight Loss Diet Tips
While following an Indian diet plan for weight loss, the following tips might be useful & should be taken into consideration :
- Freshly cooked meals by yourself are the best option always.
- Ensure to have all the food groups in your diet plan.
- Breakfasts are to be heavy. Options like aalloo paratha, veggie sandwich, bread-butter and omlette are good to eat.
- Breakfast should be taken within 30 minutes of waking up.
- Lunch should be a medium affair with dal, sabzi, roti and curd or brown rice, rajma.
- Dinner should be light such as khichdi or salad or curd rice.
- Dinner should be taken at least two hours before bedtime.
- One meal a week can be a cheat meal, however, ensure not to go beyond limits in this day.
These healthy habits will help you stay fit
- Opt for 5 meals a day: Instead of three large meals, try having three modest meals and a few snack breaks through the day in controlled portions. Spacing your meals across regular intervals prevents acidityand bloating, and also doesn’t let you feel
- Have an early dinner: Indians eat dinner later than the other societies across the world after watching their daily soap TV shows which is a bad habit. Metabolism slows down at night, so a dinner during late hours can be harmful & leads to weight gain. Experts advise you to have your dinner by 8 pm at the maximum.
- Drink abundant water: How does drinking more water help you lose weight? For starters, it’s zero calories.Have five to six glasses of water everyday to have a perfect shape.
- Eat a lot of fiber: A person needs at least 15 gm of fiber every day, as it aids digestion and heart health
“Illuminate your body with the right approach & the weight loss will be at your doorstep!”
Following this kind of a diet, with physical workout side by side, can help not only in weight loss but also in maintaining an overall healthy lifestyle.
Don’t hold back yourself of the yummilicious Indian food. Cook and eat healthily – and workout is a must! You will lose weight automatically in a natural way.
Meditate and de-stress.